Agriculture & Health Program Internship
1-year internship with Jnana Foundation
The Jnana Foundation, under its Socially Minded Indian Leadership Education (SMILE) program, intends to hire up to two interns for the Agriculture and Health pillar.
Jnana Foundation (JF) is a Social Impact organisation that partners with selected local NGOs and Consultants to effectively design, fund and execute projects with high impact to local communities. JF has used a “Systems Thinking” approach to identify four critical areas of high impact, i.e. Environmental Conservation, Education, Holistic Health & Wellness, and Regenerative Agriculture. JF works closely with partner NGOs to identify projects that can transform the current paradigms in these areas. JF supports its partners in raising funds and executing the projects, including monitoring the outcomes, reporting progress, and sharing knowledge gained to inspire others to take up these initiatives in their communities.
The Agriculture and Health pillars
Health: In spite of a long history of alternative and Holistic Healing Systems, the current Indian health system is dominated by Profit oriented Allopathic and Inorganic chemical Pharmacology solutions. Further, both these systems are increasingly at war with each other. JF believes that the solutions lie in an approach that integrates and combines traditional Holistic Healing systems with modern Allopathy to improve efficacy, eliminate side effects, and reduce costs. JF intends to support projects focused on approaches that integrate these various systems with the objective of disease prevention, complete cure, and increasing longevity at a cost structure that meets the needs of all levels of society.Agriculture: Similarly, even though Organic Farming techniques were pioneered in India, subsequently the Green Revolution and, more recently, GMO technologies have shifted the dominant approach to Chemical/Genetic farming, creating an unsustainable food model which is poisoning both the producer and consumer and further financially ruining the India farmer. JF’s objective is to help modernise traditional organic farming and permaculture techniques to create a sustainable food model that provides cost-effective, highly nutritious, poison-free food to consumers, is financially remunerating to producers, and is climate resilient.
Location: JF Office in Siolim, Bardez, Goa
Start date: Immediate
Salary: 1.2 lakhs per annum with the potential for a full-time position at the Jnana Foundation or with one of our partner NGOs after completion of the internship.
- Working with the impact coordinator to design the programs within the two pillars. The role will primarily involve the coordination of various projects, managing social media, coordinating events, and researching various topics.
- Interns will be expected to work at JF office at least 8 hours per day, 5 days a week. During certain community events, they may be required to participate during the weekend.
- Doing research in the assigned areas to understand the problems and causes using various techniques such as Systems Thinking.
- Designing projects/programs with the support of NGOs, consultants, and team members with clear goals, budgets, metrics etc.
- Setting up and developing processes for the programs: Creating a timeline, writing down the standard operating procedures, designing systems, reviewing processes, etc.
- Helping select new NGO partners, including research, due diligence etc. Strengthening existing partnerships, collaborating, spreading awareness about the concept, coordinating with partner NGOs and setting up meetings and check-ins, etc
- Assisting with all aspects of the monthly events organised by JF
- Impact: Designing and monitoring impact metrics along with our Co-ordinator (Impact Operations) & Scientific Advisor
- Troubleshooting: Being able to appropriately address any problems that may arise during the course of the project and escalating where necessary.
- Supporting Fundraising activities, including researching donors, communicating, pitching and writing grant proposals.
- Supporting external communication, including writing articles, blog posts, and social media.
- We are looking for recent Bachelor/Diploma graduates interested in integrated and holistic health and agriculture. Education in Agriculture, Holistic Wellness, Social Work/ Impact, and Business Management would be a benefit.
- Fluent in written and spoken Konkani and English. Any more conversational languages would be an added advantage, especially Hindi and Marathi.
- Mobility within the state of Goa and proximity to our office in Siolim.
- An interest in holistic health practices, regenerative agriculture, organic farming, or integrative agriculture is necessary.
- Proactive in taking up opportunities and a desire to learn and grow. Curiosity towards new and integrated ideas. Extremely meticulous and organised, attention to detail is particularly important.
- Ready to face uncertainties and a constantly changing work environment.
- Very patient and good with soft skills like communication, people management and partnership and an ability to work in a small team.
- Working knowledge of social media, event planning, and management would be an added benefit.
What will you gain from this role at JF?
- An opportunity to work with a highly skilled team at Jnana Foundation.
- Be part of a growing organisation and learn all the skills needed to start a non-profit.
- Exposure to the other areas of work in Jnana Foundation.
- Ability to wear multiple hats and take on leadership roles.
- Capacity-building in crucial areas required to work in the social impact space.
- A sense of empathy and well-developed soft skills that will help you as you move ahead in the social impact space.
- Most Importantly: Build skills to become an effective leader in the Social Impact Sector.